Sunday, September 7, 2008

Barbecue Baked Beans



Our long, sunny days are numbered as Fall approaches, so I've been thinking of summery foods that I've yet to make. Barbecue baked beans come to mind, although these are great any time of year. This recipe features my favorite barbecue sauce, Organic Tangy Barbecue Sauce by Whole Foods. The smoky tempeh bacon, onions, and spicy sauce are a delicious combination. Serve with a veggie burger and potato salad for a perfect summery meal.


Barbecue Baked Beans
Adapted from Whole Foods

5 strips smoky tempeh bacon
canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup tangy barbecue sauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon agave nectar
1 Tablespoon mustard
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
2 cans navy beans, rinsed and drained

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Fry the tempeh bacon strips in canola oil until dark brown and crispy on the edges. Set aside on a clean kitchen towel to soak up excess oil.
Saute the onion in the same skillet for about 5 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add the ketchup through Liquid Smoke to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
Mince the tempeh bacon while the sauce simmers.
Add beans and bacon to the sauce and combine. Pour into a casserole dish and bake for about 1 hour.


And for local readers, did you make it to Art Outside yet this weekend? The Schlafly beer, live music, and art is still going on today, 12-4. Make sure to visit Amie King's booth, a local jewelry artist and Creative Animal Rescue blogger. I love the earrings I purchased from her last night.



10 comments:

  1. Ha! I've been doing the same thing. I almost freaked out the other day when I realized I had yet to make fresh vegetable soup with local tomatoes. So it's in the Crock Pot now.

    And I've got baked beans on my list too. Yours look delish. I love the idea of adding tempeh.

    Oh, and sometime later this week, I'm making that Tempeh Spread that you posted ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful food and beautiful jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I've gone all summer without making baked beans! How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bianca, I can't bear the thought of eating my last local tomato this summer! Your soup sounds great, and hope you like the tempeh dish.

    Jennifer thanks!

    Destiny, I thought the same thing. And of course I have to make potato salad a few more times too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great earrings!

    I love the baked beans post. I am going to buy a couple of bottles of liquid smoke when I go home next month - i have never seen it in europe...and have never tried it myself. I will patiently wait to try this recipe until I can find that essential ingredient. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! Those beans look so amazing! As soon as it gets cooler around here I might just give them a go. And those earrings are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those beans looks soooo tasty! i am obsessed with beans on toast, but i have only made it with canned baked beans. i may try this out! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have yet to make my own baked beans! can you believe it?! your recipe confrims that i need to! especially with the smokey tempeh bacon - BRILLIANT! that = AWESOME! thanks, Lisa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute new earrings!

    And yum, baked beans. The perfect summer picnic food (where I should be right now)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails