Monday, August 18, 2008

Vegetable Stew


This stew features so many chunky, colorful vegetables. It's a change of pace from tomato-based soups, using vermouth and vegetable broth instead with just a touch of fire roasted tomatoes. I especially like the recipe for featuring kale, which doesn't go all limp with cooking. I made this up Sunday and it will give us filling, healthy lunches during the week.


Vegetable Stew
adapted from Vegetarian Times

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 large potatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups dry vermouth
2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves rinsed well
14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons cold water
1 Tablespoon tamari
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
2 cups vegetable broth

Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Saute onion, carrots, and bell pepper for a couple of minutes. Add garlic and potatoes and cook about 5 minutes. Add vermouth and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add kale and cook 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Mix cornstarch in a cup with cold water to dissolve. Add this and remaining ingredients to the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are done.

15 comments:

  1. One and a half cups of vermouth? Yes! Now that is a stew I could see myself eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your stew looks beautiful, Lisa! so colorful & full of delicious veggies and awesomeness! mmmmmmmmm! this would be a great way for us to use some of our local veggies we bought at the market, and perfect for lunches, indeed! thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious and hearty looking soup! Isn't it great when your lunches for the week are determined early on? I love cooking in big batches, unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to do it that often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh Lisa, another total winner of a recipe (way to adapt the Veg Times!!) What a great photo...vermouth....I admit that I never would have thought.
    You just reminded me that I hadn't finished reading my online september v.times! Thanks...great soup, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to make this like now....
    *shakes fist in the air for not having all ingredients at hand....
    looks fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet all the textures and colors make for a really satisfying stew! I am quite envious of all the yummy lunches you're going to have with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good, hearty and filling. And what a wonderful way to get so many healthy, delicious lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vegan Dad, this totally cleaned out my vermouth supply, none left for martinis now!

    Jessy, local veggies would make this even better!

    Jennifer, it's such a time saver to have leftovers on hand. I like to always cook on Sunday to have something to start the week off.

    Vegan Cowgirl, thanks! There are so many recipes online it's hard to keep up with exploring them all!

    Barbara, thank you!

    Ruby Red Vegan and Voracious Vegan, this will keep us set for quite a few lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. I've been craving soup, and I love the idea of the vermouth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, I'll bank this for the first chilly day of autumn. I love love love chunky soups!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you work alcohol into the blog so often! I'm a big fan of the stuff. Especially in cooking. I'd never think to use vermouth as a soup base but it sounds sooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am all about boozy-stews! This is on my to do list as of right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vegan for the PeopleAugust 20, 2008 at 12:01 AM

    I love the idea of vermouth as seasoning/broth - it would be a great excuse to buy a bottle. The stew looks great, and makes me want have my first martini in years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trina, me too. I like soup even in summer.

    Mad about Udon, I'll definitely come back to this one again in chilly weather.

    Bianca, you might like to try vermouth in one of your recipes. I didn't think the taste would be noticeable, but it was and I liked the change.

    Shellyfish, boozy is a good way to put it!

    Halfeaten, thanks!

    Vegan for the People, vermouth is on my grocery list now too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails