Monday, August 11, 2008

Unconventional Vegan Taco Salad



I'm back after a little break to hang out with my parents visiting from South Carolina. We took advantage of the mild, sunny weather to catch a Cardinals game, the highlight (for me) of which was Billy Bob Thornton throwing out the first pitch! Another day we took in the Niki exhibit at the MO Botanical Garden. Forgot to take my camera, so I'll be back for sure. I'll work on getting back on track with more frequent posts this week. And now, back to our regularly scheduled vegan food programming...

What's with the name of this dish? Describing something as both vegan and unconventional might seem redundant. But "taco salad" doesn't capture what's going on here, with ingredients such as sunflower shoots and sugar snap peas. I was inspired by this Cooking Light recipe, but took a left turn based on vegetables I had on hand. The vegan sour cream provides a creamy base for the dressing, and all the fresh vegetables just seem so darn healthy you'll be quite pleased with yourself. MD gave this one a definite thumbs up.

Unconventional Vegan Taco Salad
Serves 2-3

Dressing:
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2/3 cup Tofutti sour cream
juice from 1/2 lime
2 Tablespoons chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt

Salad:
1 cup (about 2 ears) fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup sugar snap peas, cut in bite-sized pieces
1 cup sunflower shoots
1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
tortilla chips

Prepare dressing by stirring dressing ingredients in a bowl. Combine salad ingredients, except tortilla chips, in another bowl. Add dressing a little at a time until you reach the desired amount. Combine gently. Crumble tortilla chips on each serving.

14 comments:

  1. that taco salad is insane. it looks like both the tastiest thing i could ever eat, AND the healthiest thing i could ever eat. the two rarely intersect. combine that with my tofutti obsession, and consider me IN. will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa! That dish is brilliant, and looks totally mouth watering! Excellent idea. I covet black beans because they are surprisingly hard to find here....but this is well worth a can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! Yum! That dressing sounds insanely good....actually it all sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you had a good visit with your parents!

    I love that you took an unconventional route with this taco salad, it sounds intriguing and delicious. I always feel like a bit of a rebel when I put something in Mexican food that usually isn't used. :-) I don't know about you, but I'm all for bucking tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all types of taco salad - unconventional or not! :-) Great job on this recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your taco salad looks gloriously heathly and scrumptious! i've never had sunflower shoots before - but they look awesome! i'm gonna have to find some now and make this recipe! it sounds really delicious and perfect for these warm summer days. and that dressing - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen many taco salads, but this is the best looking ever. I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a healthy taco salad! Mine are usually piled high with chips, fake cheese, and other unhealthies....this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quarrygirl, thanks so much! We loved it.

    Vegan Cowgirl, that's interesting about the black beans! I take them for granted here.

    Thanks Voracious Vegan!

    Jennifer, we did have a good visit. And I'm with you, tradition is not what it's cracked up to be!

    Jennycestcake, thank you and me too on the taco salad!

    Jessy, I love these shoots! They come from a local winery/farm apparently. Hope you can find some too.

    Alice, so kind of you!

    Bianca, all these veggies do seem to redeem the fact that I used Tofutti (not sure how healthy that is?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unconventional is definitely the way to describe this...I've been looking for a way to incorporate more sprouts/shoots, and this looks like the perfect recipe to experiment with that. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a really yummy salad. I eat a lot of salads in the Summer and I always welcome a new recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melisser, thanks so much! LOVE your blog by the way.

    ClaudiaWR, I buy these shoots every chance I get. They have such a great crunch.

    Alexa, this really is the perfect time of year for salad. I'm enjoying them while the weather's hot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy yummy... If you were in Greenville I could have told ya about an awesome Indian place called Swad here that serves vegetarian food they will veganize for ya... nummy nummy!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails