Friday, August 22, 2008

Tempeh Salad with Grapes and Pecans



I say tempeh salad with "PEA-kanz", although I reckon some might say "puh-KAHNZ". Southern accent or no, this was a hit in our house! It requires just a few ingredients, inspired by this Whole Foods recipe, but the vegan version is much nicer to chickens. The agave nectar in the dressing and grapes add a little sweet flavor, and we ate this atop a bed of cute pea shoots from Local Harvest Grocery. This came together in a snap with The Meat Purveyors as my soundtrack. The band was on my mind since they reunited for a couple of shows in Kansas this week and I'm not there! Oh well, if you couldn't be there either, you might enjoy this little gem from YouTube featuring one of their songs.







Tempeh Salad with Grapes and Pecans
16 ounces tempeh, crumbled into small pieces
2 Tablespoons canola oil
4 teaspoons tamari
1/2 cup Vegenaise
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup organic seedless red grapes
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cup pecan halves
pea shoots

Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the tempeh crumbles for 7-10 minutes, until quite brown. Transfer to a bowl, add tamari, stir and let cool to room temperature. Make the dressing by combining the Vegenaise through salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside. Toast the pecan halves for a few minutes in a skillet until fragrant, then coarsely chop.
Combine cooled tempeh, dressing, grapes, celery, and pecans. Serve over pea shoots or leafy greens.

13 comments:

  1. wow! this looks (and sounds) glorious! i need some pecans & grapes and then i'm totally making this. it's too dang beauuuuutiful not to! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love recipes that are nice to chickens. Why can't the world be a little nicer to chickens....? When you spend ten little minutes with chickens it is so clear that they are just little fluffy dudes doing their own thing.

    A great recipe - it sounds so refreshing and sweet for the end of the summer.

    How would I say pecans with a Canadian accent? What if I said it with my Canadian accent while speaking French to one of my dutch colleagues. I might just say "nuts". :)

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Yum! I'm going to put this recipe in the Afsoon's Yummy notebook :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of tempeh, I still think this salad sounds so good. Those grapes are gorgeous (they look so big and juicy) and I am a big fan of pecans! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, so beautiful! Grapes are so abundant right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks & sounds lovely! My late gran used to make a salad with raw broccoli, red grapes, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, & bacon bits. She was so sweet & veganized it for my sister & I, even using Vegenaise! Now I love savory/sweet salads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you believe that I cannot find pecans? It's a shame because I think they're perfect for this recipe and right now I'm very much in love with this recipe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! That video is hilarious! I'd never heard of this band, but I already love them!

    And I also love grapes on a salad, so I'm sure that one was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessy, thanks! We really liked it.

    Vegan Cowgirl, I can see it now. An audio of "pecans" being pronounced with various accents. That sounds pretty entertaining actually! But I can be a geek, maybe it's me.

    Halfeaten, a yummy notebook is a great idea.

    Jennifer (jennycestcake), we love tempeh in tempeh salad. I brown the bejeezus out of it and it gets all salty with the tamari. But, I know it's not for everybody!

    Melisser, these grapes were sweet and juicy, really tasty!

    Destiny, your gran sounds like a great cook AND a very sweet grandma.

    Alice, you have to come visit so you can stock up on cooking supplies!

    Bianca, this band is a blast, best enjoyed in person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am so making this!! I am always looking for tempeh recipes. I love the stuff but don't have a huge collection of "perfect" recipes for it.
    I'm breaking my own rule of "not changing the recipe" because I know the PEA-kanz make this.. but I might try it with pine nuts instead since I have a ton of them in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing! So many of my favourite flavours and textures all together! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a salad with grapes the other day! It was great, but might've been even better with tempeh. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just wanted to let you know how fabulous this recipe was! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails