Thursday, August 28, 2008

Smoky Burritos


This burrito recipe combines unique flavors and fresh produce in a dish that is simple comfort food. The smoky, slightly sweet filling is spiked with a beer of your choice and plenty of heat from an habanero pepper. I almost used my favorite Mexican beer, Negra Modelo, but decided to savor the good stuff with dinner and added a light domestic beer to the burrito filling. This was delicious served with crunchy shoots, Tofutti sour cream, and local Hacienda salsa. MD suggests an addition of fresh cilantro to garnish next time!


Smoky Burritos

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large portobello mushroom, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
corn kernels from 2 medium cobs
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 large yellow tomato, pureed
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 12 ounce beer
whole wheat tortillas
garnish such as Tofutti sour cream, pea shoots, salsa, and cilantro

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, habanero, and corn and saute for about 1 minute. Add beans, Liquid Smoke, black pepper, salt, and cumin and saute for a couple of minutes. Add pureed tomato, molasses, and beer. Simmer rapidly for about 15 minutes until sauce is reduced. Spread the bean and vegetable mixture on warmed tortillas and top with garnish of your choice.

11 comments:

  1. Bookmarking this recipe now...and thinking about Negro Modelo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at habanero! This looks really good Lisa! And as always your presentation is spectacular. This one is being taken down and put in the queue of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good idea on saving the Modelo to drink! it's one of my favorites! this sounds spicy and smokey and awesome! i always forget to use my liquid smoke. i need to work on not forgetting! dan and i are going to try these - they look great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing. Great photo! I miss burritos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously wish you'd write a vegan cookbook about cooking with alcohol! These sound great....my granny used to make bbq beer beans (though she know swears she never made this...weird...no one in my family remembers but me...so it could have been a dream). But beer and beans are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...just had a though. You should call these Beeritoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennycestcake, me too. I might have to see if I have one in the fridge.

    Jennifer, we enjoyed an habanero from a friend's garden, and it was delish.

    Liz, I think so too! My favorite beer.

    Jessy, I'd like to use Liquid Smoke more often too. It goes great in this dish.

    Vegan Cowgirl, is it hard for you find tortillas? I would miss them too!

    Bianca, you're giving me ideas. Add one ingredient and they could be Fritos y Beeritos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the burrito goodness! I've properly bookmarked this recipe, and need to go buy some beer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look like the best burritos ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your burritos sound seriously good, I never think to cook with beer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails