Friday, August 1, 2008

Raw Corn and Cashew Chowder


Corn kernels are everywhere. Stuck to my tank top, my kitchen floor, my laptop. Probably sprinkled on Scout too. Those suckers flew around like crazy when I cut them from the cobs! Of course, after spraying myself and everything in sight with corn, I found this tip on A Veggie Venture for the problem. I should have consulted Alanna's blog first!

Was making the soup messy? Slightly. Was the mess worthwhile? Definitely! This is Ani Phyo's recipe from Food and Wine. It's another no cook delicious summer dish. The soup turns out creamy and garlicky, with a touch of decadence from the fruity olive oil. I have another neighborhood Supper Club coming up, and this dish is in the running for my contribution. The theme is beach/island food, so this is slightly off theme, but people eat corn at the beach, right? And it will travel well, does not need to be kept warm, and is a full-proof recipe with a knock-out flavor. Everything I could want in a summery potluck dish.


Raw Corn and Cashew Chowder
Serves 4

2 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels
2 cups water
1/2 cup raw cashews
6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small clove garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
cilantro, freshly ground black pepper, and minced jalapeno to garnish, optional

Put corn kernels, water, cashews, olive oil, garlic, and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth. Garnish with chopped cilantro and black pepper. Next time I'll also add fresh, minced jalapeno to garnish.

13 comments:

  1. Lisa, that looks so good! And the combination is so wonderful and unusual. So you are exploring raw food recipes, is it :)
    The neighborhood supper club sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I just posted my 'raw tuesdays' dishes, all coming from Phyo. I can't wait to try this one!

    I sure wish I had a neighborhood supper club! How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So easy - I think I might try with almonds this weekend. I love-love-love cold soups this time of year.

    BTW these days I skip the Bundt pan and just scrape into a bowl. Once the kernels are off, be sure to give the cob one more scrape with the flat side of the knife, this releases the 'corn milk' that holds so much flavor.

    As always, Lisa, most inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful.

    Not only does the dish look creamy and delicious, but the turquoise presentation is to die for (I LOVE turquoise).

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness! This recipe couldn't be easier. I'm not the biggest fan of corn, but I think I could make an exception for a soup that's this easy and so yummy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I'm sorry to hear you got attacked by your corn! This sounds really tasty, I am looking for more non-cook meals for the summer. It has just been so humid in Missouri lately that I barely want to eat let alone turn on the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe! Cool blog! I added you to my blogroll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That totally happened to me when I made corn chowder! There were kernels all over the kitchen, it was ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nupur, thanks! Yes, I'm dabbling with raw food a little. We do have a blast at our supper club!

    Shellyfish, I checked out your post and the Mexican style food looked great!

    Alanna, thank you for the additional tip! I knew you would have some helpful info.

    Stella, thanks! This simple dish was surprisingly flavorful.

    Jennycestcake, so true, this is super easy.

    Jennifer, I know what you mean. Heat wave should be worse by Monday. Ugh.

    Thanks for stopping by Anardana!

    Cyn, I'll admit I usually deal with frozen corn kernels, so the spray was somewhat of a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great, I haven't tried many raw food dishes, but this sounds delicious and refreshing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chow Vegan, me either, but we really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds tasty, thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails