Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cannellini Spread with Sundried Tomatoes and Fresh Basil



You might have noticed that I'm a big fan of bean spreads. I love them for greeting guests with a little nibble to accompany a cocktail, for making sandwiches at lunch, or for snacking with whole grain crackers anytime of day. Bean spreads are filling, nutritious, and as decadent as you want. And you can easily alter ingredients for your own creative twist. This week's bean spread features fresh basil while I still have a huge plant of it in my backyard. I enjoyed this on a piece of whole wheat toast, garnished with some dark green pea shoots, and also right out of the refrigerator scooped up with Fritos. Here's the recipe:


Cannellini Spread with Sundried Tomatoes and Fresh Basil

1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 marinated dried tomato halves, coarsely chopped
2 small cloves garlic
a handful of fresh basil
1 Tablespoon tahini
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon water
salt and pepper to taste

Combine in a food processor, pulsing until smooth.

10 comments:

  1. i'm a big fan of bean spreads too, Lisa! i love how versatile they can be! this bean dip looks nothing short of amazingly fantastical! i'm keeping it in mind next time we buy some sun-dried tomatoes! mmmmmmmmmm! thanks once again for another rock'n recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be trying this recipe. I too love bean spreads, so tasty and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bean spreads ARE great, it helps that they are so versatile too. As you note, they are a great company munchie, and also great sandwich fillings or snacks. I love sun-dried tomatoes, and added to the white beans with the fresh basil. Mmmmmmm. I wonder if this would be good on a fresh french loaf too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bean spreads, too! They are so creamy and satisfying. Your recipe today sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...I love bean spreads too. Especially ones made with white beans and garlic. And I bet the sun-dried tomatoes were a perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bean spreads - they are so filling and can be so diverse (as your great recipe exemplifies!)

    I love the photo! And I will try the recipe for sure. Thanks buckets for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I am Lori's niece, Rebecca. She sent me the link to your blog because I am a fellow vegan and also she mentioned you've got the meals down but not so much the desserts, and those are my specialty! We must swap recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessy, the sundried tomatoes give it a nice rosy color for a change of pace!

    Voracious Vegan, hope you like it!

    Jennifer, a crunchy french loaf would be delicious with this.

    Jennycestcake, so true! The olive oil or tahini in bean spreads really gives a nice creamy texture that is delicious.

    Bianca, we liked this so much that it went pretty fast!

    Vegan Cowgirl, thanks!

    Rebecca, I'd love to swap recipes! Thanks for the delicious chocolate vegan cookies. Your upcoming trip sounds exciting and I was impressed to hear about your work with Farm Sanctuary. And so nice to hear from a local vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a fan of beans, but your bean spread looks delicious! I'll eat that any day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dip sounds great, and the picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails