Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Bowtie Pasta with Olives, Artichokes, and Fire Roasted Tomatoes


Tonight was a "raid the pantry for something tasty" night. While this time of year is perfect for fresh produce in the Midwest, this meal is a delicious option if you're out of tomatoes or for the Winter when you're relying on canned veggies. But let's not think about Winter yet. Sorry I brought it up.


Bowtie Pasta with Olives, Artichokes, and Fire Roasted Tomatoes
Inspired by Vegan Planet
Makes a huge pot full!

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large jalapeno pepper, minced
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon (or red of choice)
10 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
8 Queen-sized green olives, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound whole wheat bowtie pasta
1/4 cup pinenuts
fresh basil to garnish

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute onion for a few minutes until it begins to soften. Add garlic and jalapeno and saute for a minute or so. Don't let the garlic burn! Add the tomato paste and combine. Add the tomatoes through salt and pepper and simmer to thicken while you make the pasta (about 20 minutes or so).

Cook the pasta. While it cooks, toast the pinenuts in a skillet. Only for a few minutes because they burn quickly. Drain the pasta when done, and combine in a large pot with the sauce. Check for seasoning. Garnish each serving with toasted pinenuts and fresh basil.

15 comments:

  1. No you should definitely bring up winter! I was just day dreaming yesterday about cooler weather and even looked around for an artificial christmas tree, thinking they might be cheaper in the off season. This dish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This DOES sound like a great winter meal, or as you say, the raiding the cabinets to see what we've got kind of meal. And I love that it makes a ton, that makes work meals a snap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes. They really add something special to a dish. This pasta is beautiful.

    I'm not looking forward to winter (my least favorite season), but a little bit of fall doesn't sound so bad. This dish definitely sounds like it would be comforting on a cloudy autumn day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it starts snowing next week, I am going to blame you for mentioning the "W" word! In my house though, delicious pastas like this are welcome year-round!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks so good! i grant you your wish for work to be canceled. now don't bark up my tree if it doesn't come true...this controling the future thing is a bit moody :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I happen to have bowtie pasta in my pantry, and, the way it's raining this week, I think it's winter-y enough to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa - you can bring up winter ANY time you like, I love sweaters and this pasta dish rocks - so winter it is!

    Great photo. Thanks for the recipe....I might freak K out one night by making him bowties instead of spaghetti: his little British-no-changes heart will explode.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again with the working alcohol into it! Love it! Tomato sauces are sooo much better with wine in them! And the idea of pasta with artichokes and olives is making my tummy grumble.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz! Christmas tree already? I do love the festive lights at Christmas. I admit I'm thinking about Halloween already, but Christmas hadn't occurred to me!

    Jennifer, this is a really flavorful easy standby!

    Jennycestcake, I'm already noticing the days getting shorter, argh!

    Rural Vegan, I wouldn't be surprised at snow in our scary climate change world!

    halfeaten, thanks! Keep polishing those skills. The next time I get a day off, you get the credit!

    Alice, perfect!

    Vegan Cowgirl, I take no responsibility for exploding British hearts. Hope you like the dish!

    Bianca, wine really is a perfect addition for pasta sauce, because I can never resist having a glass with the meal. They just go hand in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, your "raid the pantry" night looks better than my "full on, i'm trying hard to make a fancy dinner" night! love the pasta recipe. i am always looking for new ways to spice it up. will give this a try. also, i always just sprinkle pine nuts on after or throw them in a sauce. cooking them separately? you are on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man, Lisa - i'd make this any time! it's got all of my favorites and looks absolutely DIVINE!

    thanks again for another rock'n recipe! i can't wait to try this one out as well! wheeeeeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. bowtie pasta has got to be the funnest shape known to man. makes me want to grab one and attach it to the collar of my tee shirt and look ridiculous. as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bowties are a big hit at my house - we call them butterfly pasta because my 3-year-old swears that's what they are!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks excellent and make me want to buy some bow ties..

    ReplyDelete
  15. QuarryGirl, I think toasting the pinenuts a little REALLY brings out their flavor. They end up smelling great!

    Jessy, I think we have similar taste in Italian food!

    Celine, you're so entertaining that you could get away with bowtie on your t-shirt.

    Shellyfish, who am I to contradict your 3-year-old? We can call these butterflies instead.

    Thanks Jess!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails