Sunday, August 24, 2008

Black-Eyed Peas, Potatoes, and Bamboo Shoots



A few weeks ago, we finally had dinner at Everest Cafe and Bar, and I've been thinking about trying this dish at home ever since. Everest features Nepalese, Indian, and Korean food, and practically every Nepalese dish is vegan! We started with a sampler of appetizers including vegetables mo-mo ( Tibetan-style dumplings stuffed with a seasoned vegetable mixture) and some crispy breaded zucchini. The appetizers came with two sauces for dipping. I'm STILL talking about those zucchini slices! For one of our main dishes, we ordered the Tama Bodi Tarkari, which is a juicy dish of black-eyed peas, potatoes, bamboo shoots, and tomato sauce served over steamed rice.

A little searching on the internet uncovered this recipe for the black-eyed pea dish, and after a trip to Penzeys for fenugreek and brown mustard seeds, I was set to cook. This dish has the delightful aroma of cilantro and citrus, with sweet undertones of fenugreek. It's quite spicy, so if you prefer milder food, make sure to decrease the cayenne pepper. We ate this on a bed of jasmine rice. I'll definitely be back for the delicious food and friendly service at Everest, as well as inspiration for new recipes to try in my kitchen!

7 comments:

  1. this sounds amazing....i am glad you found this place and can share your inspiration....
    look forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! I love your site!! it's awesome that you have time to do all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I want to go! Ah well, maybe sometime when I'm around the area I'll grab a bite (!). The food looks and sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dishes that send me to the store for new spices! I can't say that I would be able to identify the taste of fenugreek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you thank you, great combo of yummy goodness.

    I totally love that photo you took! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool combo. I wouldn't have thought to mix bamboo shoots and black-eyed peas, but I bet it was delicious. Especially over jasmine rice. I love jasmine rice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, we really loved this place!

    Reborn Vegan, thanks and welcome to my blog!

    Halfeaten, it was great! I gotta go back for more soon.

    Jennycestcake, fenugreek is really cool- it smells kind of sweet like maple syrup. I look forward to using it again.

    Vegan Cowgirl, thanks!

    Bianca, I agree. Who knew black-eyed peas would be in Nepalese food?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails