Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Avocado Salad in Tomato Bowls


Now that I've had several sliced tomato, tempeh bacon, sprouts, and avocado sandwiches this summer, I've had enough of a fix to think about other uses for delicious local tomatoes. How about edible tomato bowls? We scooped the avocado salad up with chips for an appetizer, but these would also make a festive Tex Mex side dish.


Avocado Salad in Tomato Bowls
Serves 2

2 large tomatoes
2 Tablespoons minced onion
1 jalapeno, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
juice from 1/2 lime
1 avocado, cubed
a few shakes of hot sauce
a few pinches of garlic powder
salt to taste

Remove the core from each tomato. Slice a thin slice off each tomato bottom so the tomatoes will sit upright. Slice the tops off the tomatoes and dice to use in avocado salad. Remove the insides of the tomatoes, leaving hollow bowls. Dice the tomato pieces removed from the bowls for the avocado salad. Combine the diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon the avocado salad into the tomato bowls.

19 comments:

  1. Such beautiful presentation!! I love avocado and tomatoes together, perfect summer dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Lisa I love this idea, what a great thing to do with the bounty of tomatoes the Midwest has this time of year. I bet this WOULD go perfect with a messy rice or taquitos, flautas or fajitas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! That would have been great for raw day yesterday!

    As for soaking, some recipes call for it and some don't. But I've read that some raw foodists believe soaking nuts releases some kind of enzyme inhibitors present in raw nuts. It also seems to make things easier on my food processor blade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're basically putting one thing I love into another thing I love. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, Lisa - these are so cute & tasty looking! wow! :D what a great idea! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegan Noodle, so do I. I'll hate to see summer leave.

    Jennifer, that sounds like a delicious combo. Anything you'd garnish with guac would be a perfect partner.

    Bianca, thanks for the info!

    Alice, well put!

    Jessy, thanks! It is fun to play with presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tomato bowls are brilliant!

    So yummy and fresh looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the presentation! This salad is perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vegan Cowgirl, thanks! I'm glad you stopped by, now I know about your blog too!

    Mihl, thank you. I do love local tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a great idea, and must have been beyond refreshing and tasty. mmm, avocado. I wish my husband liked them so that I wouldn't either have to eat a whole one by my lonesome, or leave it for the next day and taking the risk of having it blacken a little. I know, I know, lemon juice and all that stuff, but it's not the same.
    why am I rambling on your blog? I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Celine, I know what you mean about the avocado problem. If only they came in miniature versions which would be perfect for one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE avocado - this salad sounds wonderful and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anardana, thanks!

    LK, this is super easy. Avocado is one of my faves too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! That looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could it be Seitan, thanks! They were fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! Those tomato bowls are absolutely adorable!

    And I bet they're delicious, too!

    Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails