Friday, July 18, 2008

Tex Mex Tempeh and Penne


I wasn't sure what to expect from this Whole Foods recipe. Soymilk, tempeh, and pasta? Sounded a little weird to me.

My desire to try more tempeh dishes won out, with good results. This dish reminded me of a baked pasta casserole, but in a skillet. My modifications, noted below, turned up the heat and smokiness with chipotle powder and fire roasted tomatoes. And then you get a sweet bite of corn or a nutty tempeh nugget. Spicy, unique, and delicious!

I'd definitely make it again, although perhaps not for company other than my more open-minded friends (you know who you are). This is somewhat of an ugly duckling of casseroles. But sometimes comfort food ain't pretty.


Tex Mex Tempeh and Penne

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound tempeh, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels
1 can diced green chiles (4 ounces)
8 ounces whole wheat penne
1/2 cup salsa (I used Senorita Merz, which is local and cumin-y)
1 cup unsweetened plain soymilk
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon ground chipotle powder
2 teaspoons salt

In a large skillet (that has a lid), saute onion, bell pepper, and tempeh in olive oil for about 10 minutes. About 7 minutes into the cooking time, add the garlic to the skillet. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes.

14 comments:

  1. this looks wonderful! i would have never thought to combine all of this awesomeness - it looks great together! mmmmmm, i love it! and i'm gonna try this, too. we just picked up 3 blocks of local tempeh just last week. sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love skillet meals, and I love tempeh, so thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on a tempeh kick too - it's just such a bizarro ingredient and yet so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty to me! I love anything with tempeh really. I think it may be replacing tofu as my favorite meat substitute....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, looks wonderful! And pretty simple. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that looks like a great dish to whip up on a summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good to me - love tex mex, love tempeh, love one pot meals! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa - Thanks for getting back to me about the frozen corn chowder - glad to know it works great!

    And were you serious about maybe doing a round-up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessy, how great that you can get local tempeh! I don't think we have a local producer around here.

    Shellyfish, I agree about the skillet meals. Doesn't it simplify things to have a one-pot dish plus maybe an extra vegetable?

    Nikki, me too! I've been trying lots of new recipes with it.

    Bianca, I'm liking it more and more too!

    Thanks Maureen! It is pretty simple. Once you get it together, leave it alone to cook!

    LK, thanks!

    Chow Vegan, I was joking about the "bright food" round-up because I made some zucchini (haven't posted yet) that is pretty flourescent. But now that you ask, I have been thinking that vegan blogs don't seem to do many events like other food blogs do, and it could be fun to see a bunch of us come up with different recipes for a single ingredient or something. But I'd need to research what goes into hosting an event. I guess I'm saying I'm interested in a round up or creating an event but need to know more about it and don't have anything specific in mind yet. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa - Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not when you first made the comment. But I thought that was an interesting idea. I would have sent you an email but I couldn't find your address anywhere on your blog. Mine's under the "About" tab, if you want to talk further.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm. It looks delicious, but sounds very weird. I just might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin, it was surprisingly good!

    Chow Vegan, I'll stop by your blog and be in touch.

    Maggie, weirdly delicious sums it up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this last night. Added about a can of black beans and used jalapeno diced tomatoes instead of fire-roasted. It was delicious! One of my friends ate three helpings of it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails