Thursday, July 10, 2008

Spanish Potatoes


I do love to make "wine bar" food at home. Varied small plates, a big red wine, and some ultra smooth music that just breathes "relax". Federico Aubele is as smooth as they get.







This dish resembles the spicy potatoes you find at tapas restaurants. The fire roasted tomatoes add a smoky depth, and the sweet potatoes provide such a pretty orange contrast and a little sweet touch. This version isn't super spicy, so some cayenne or chipotle would be a nice touch as well.

Spanish Potatoes
adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

2 pounds potatoes (I used red and sweet), cut into bite-sized chunks
2 medium onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Cover the potatoes in salted water in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook, partially covered, about 10 minutes, until they begin to get tender. Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil over low heat in a skillet, add onions and garlic, and saute, covered, for about 10 minutes. Add chili powders and cook another two minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add the potatoes to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes, or until they are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste, and chopped parsley.

14 comments:

  1. I love Spanish food and tapas - I have been reworking some of my favorites to be vegetarian/vegan. These look terrific and go so well with the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked wine, I feel so unsophisticated. Hehehe.

    Those potatoes look and sound really good. I love little plate meals, you can sample a large variety of dishes without overstuffing yourself.

    I like the idea of adding some chipotle chili powder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really really yummy! The tapas restaurant here does Patatas Bravas that I love, but they're very spicy. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm...Those really do sound good. Thanks for this recipe today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patatas bravas are really one of my favorite foods! Do you know that most restaurants have an own recipe, and at some places it's even secret?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikki, how fun to veg-ize your favorite recipes. I've seen some amazing vegan versions on the blogs of dishes you would think were impossible!

    Jennifer, I do like the sampling aspect of small plates too! And I think you'd definitely want to add some heat to this dish!

    Thanks Erin! Patatas Bravas is one of my favorites at tapas places.

    Jennycestcake, thanks!

    Alice, I'm eager to try more versions of this recipe. If you have a favorite I'd love to hear it! Fatfree Vegan has a gorgeous looking version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those look delicious. reminds me of last summer...my husband played jazz music outside at a wine bar & i would often sit & listen to him play, sipping my wine & eating "small plates". good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, Spanish food is the best! These potatoes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ladyliriel, thanks and nice to hear from you!

    Jamie, that sounds like a great way to spend an evening.

    Tarah, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, these look similar to the ones I had in a tapas restaurant last year and they were amazing. I'll have to give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I can't wait to make these. Yummy and apparently easy--a combination of which I'm fond!

    Oh--and hi. A friend told me last month sometime that someone in our very own St. Louis had started a vegan food blog called Show Me Vegan, and I (happily) had to come see for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sal, hope you enjoy them!

    Stephanie, another St. Louis vegan blogger?? Awesome! Thanks so much for stopping by. It's great to "virtually" meet you. I'll be checking out your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails