Monday, July 14, 2008

Naked Burrito


I'm working on my rice making skills with the help of Alice Waters. Sometimes my rice turns out crunchy, sometimes wet. It seems like a rather temperamental food to be so ubiquitous. I reckon it's me.

So I turned to The Art of Simple Food and decided to make the Red Rice Pilaf for a burrito bowl. My modifications are indicated below. Of course, I didn't have enough rice on hand to follow the recipe precisely, but my adjustments turned out fine except that I'd start with less olive oil next time.

Once you have some rice cooked up, this flavorful dish comes together pretty easily. I think it makes a great summertime lunch; not heavy, but full of veggies, beans, and citrus flavor. Don't forget the hot sauce at the end!

Naked Burrito
Makes about 2 large servings.

For the rice:
1 Tablespoon olive oil (I'll decrease this by half next time)
1 tiny onion, chopped
1/2 cup long-grain rice, rinsed and drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium tomato, seeded and diced
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cup broccoli, diced

Heat the oil over medium heat in large pot. Saute the onion about two minutes, until translucent. Add the rice and saute about five minutes. Add the garlic, tomato, salt, and cilantro, and cook for another one to two minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes. After it cooks about 7 minutes, add the peas and broccoli to the top of the rice. Return cover and cook for remaining time. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes.

For the vinaigrette:
juice from 1/2 lime (about 1 Tablespoon)
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Combine the lime juice, garlic, black pepper, and about 3 pinches of salt (or to taste). Using a fork, whisk in the olive oil. You won't need the whole batch to dress your burrito bowl.

For the rest:
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tomato (leftover from the one used for rice), seeded and chopped
cilantro, chopped
hot sauce and lime wedge to garnish

Bring together in a bowl rice/veggie mixture, beans, diced tomato, cilantro, and vinaigrette to taste. Top with hot sauce and lime juice.

19 comments:

  1. My rice skills were sub-par too until I gave in and bought a rice cooker! I love the naked burrito though - simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I don't really like about burritos is that they are so easy to wolf down without even seeing what you are eating. So I think this is a brilliant method of serving burritos--without the wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love the idea of "bowls" that forgo traditional wrappers...like burrito bowls and sushi bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I only mastered the art of rice making once I started using my steam-cooker...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love that picture. Great job! Great recipe, too! Funny that folks are saying they mastered cooking rice after buying their rice cookers. I bought (what I thought was) a good rice cooker (zojirushi brand) and it has never, ever, given me good rice. I'm inclined to say it's user and not machine error, but I highly prefer to make my rice on the stovetop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My rice used to get cooked perfectly - that is, when I had a functioning rice cooker, which wasn't for very long. When it broke I decided I was going to figure out how to make it myself.

    I never thought to saute the rice a little bit before you start cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My rice skills are lacking too. I'm getting better though, time will tell.

    Naked burrito sounds great! I get a burrito bowl sometimes at Moe's when I'm not trying to be too piggish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rural Vegan, Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had rice troubles.

    Mad about Udon, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're so right! This is a much more appealing way to enjoy the typical fixings since you can see them.

    Bianca, I just noticed a sushi bowl from Desert Vegan and was thinking that would be fun to try too.

    Alice, I also hear you can make rice in the oven. I think I'll try that too.

    Jennycestcake, this turned out okay on the stove top. I have hope!

    Jennifer, it does seem simpler to pull out a pot than a rice maker. I'm determined to master it!

    Erin, I'm not sure why, but there really is something about burrito bowls that seems healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My rice cooker saved my life. I was a tarrible rice maker and usually nuked it. But the Zojirushi rice cooker -oh wow. Thank Heavens!

    I had a naked burrito tonight for supper - what a coincidence. It was supremely delish. Yours looks even better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had something similar for lunch today! I love "bowls" where you just combine various foods and have a hearty meal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, yes, yes - this DOES look perfect for summer! mmmmmmmm! i think i'm gonna be making a naked burrito soon! and with hot sauce, indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of a burrito bowl! it looks sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nikki, funny coincidence! They are pretty delish.

    lk, I think part of the fun with bowls is how versatile they are.

    Jessy, the hot sauce is a must!

    Katy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I just love your blog. There is so many good recipes on here. I can't wait to try the Naked Burrito and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Vegan Quesadillas this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan, thanks so much. It's nice to hear from you! I just made the quesadillas last night and enjoyed them again. Hope you like them too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow. Great blog! Glad to have discovered it.

    I have been vegetarian all my life (now vegan) and NEVER been able to cook rice for ANYTHING!
    It wasn't till we got a rice cooker that we ate rice in this household.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tofu Mom, hi and welcome! I've got my eye on another rice dish soon. I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMGoodness!!!! This was fabulous!!! I can't tell how wonderful this was. It's my new comfort food. Your a genius.
    I must be using the wrong kind of rice because my rice turns out fine everytime. I don't think I can ruin rice. I have to be doing something wrong. I just make it on the stovetop in a pot.
    Now hard boiled eggs!! That's another story. Thank goodness I don't ever have to make those again. I don't think I have ever made a good one in my life. Love your blog your my inspiration. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cynthia, thanks so much for your comment! It's great to hear that people enjoy the blog and the food. I'm jealous of your rice skills. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails