Sunday, July 6, 2008

Kale and Chickpea Soup


Last weekend I brought home some fresh, local kale from the Tower Grove Farmers' Market and put it to good use in this delicious soup. This is a brothy vegetable soup that isn't too heavy, even for a hot day. The kale becomes tender but not limp. I paired a big bowl with a peanut butter sandwich, a flavor I think is just perfect with tomato-y soups.

Kale and Chickpea Soup
adapted from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, diced
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
salt
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
7 cups vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
about 7 packed cups fresh kale, leafy parts torn from stalks (discard stalks), and chopped

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions through garlic and cook about 15 minutes, until they begin to brown. Stir occasionally. Add the tomatoes with juice and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring the tomatoes to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and simmer about 5 minutes. Add the broth, bay leaves, and rosemary and bring to a boil. Add kale and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and salt to taste.

16 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I love the combination of kale and chickpeas, and most importantly, that the kale doesn't get all ick!

    I would have never thought to have a peanut butter sandwich withsoup, I think I'll have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks amazing! and i wish i was enjoying it for lunch today! it looks so goooooood! we actually have all the ingredients on hand (i got a bunch of kale, too! yay!) - perfect! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup and a peanut butter sandwich is the greatest meal! I'm embarrassed to say that I've never had kale. This is so silly, but I think the kale leaves scare me. They're so ruffly. Your soup looks so good, though! Maybe it's time to lift my ban on kale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so good! do you have a good brand of veggie broth? i have yet to find one that i think is particularly flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, isn't kale the perfect leafy green for soup? I love the texture.

    Jessy, thanks! Unfortunately, I'm now out of kale. I guess I got to the Farmers' Market too late and there were hardly any veggies left.

    Jennycestcake, I've only started eating kale recently, after going vegan! So I'm still learning various ways to prepare it. Soup might be a good way for you to try it out.

    Yo Soy!, I used the last of the veggie broth with this soup and I'm sorry that I can't recall the brand. I get the paste type that's sold in a jar because it's compact. I wonder whether Cook's Illustrated has recommended a veggie broth? Many of them do seem high in sodium and other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That soup looks incredibly delicious and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I'd never think to eat a PB sandwich with that, but now that you mention it, it does sound perfect...I may start eating PB sandwiches with savory soups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried kale in soup yet, it looks so good and healthy. Another must try recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just linked to your recipe in our newest "Cast Iron Around the Web" entry at http://www.cookingincastiron.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms. Veganorama, thank you! This is great comfort food. All slurpy and tasty.

    Vegan Explosion, thanks! I loved all the veggies.

    Bianca, it's one of my favorite flavor combos for quick meals.

    Thanks Chow Vegan! I'm pretty new to cooking with kale but soup is one of my favorite uses so far.

    R. Mansfield, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That soup looks awesome and nice and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Parker, thanks! It's so full of veggies that it seems pretty healthy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made this, and I just realized that in the instructions it never told me when to add the carrots or celery... Without them, this was still a pretty tasty meal, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for the confusion Mr. Davey. When the directions say "onions through garlic", that means every ingredient between onions and garlic, which would include carrots and celery. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. I especially found it useful where you stated ...

    what you can to be my friend?
    please add my link into your blogroll

    best regards
    katarashop

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails