Monday, July 28, 2008

Caramelized Onion and Green Curry Dip



Caramelized onions have been something of a mystery to me. The various recipes I've tried just haven't worked, resulting in crispy, brown bits. However, I checked out The Improvisational Cook from the library, and this recipe fit the bill. The onions cooked down into a spreadable sweet mixture and my house still smells delicious. We used the onions as a condiment for barbecued seitan sandwiches, and I made up this dip featuring them as well.

Zucchini discs make healthy, pretty dippers for this simultaneously sweet and spicy appetizer. But let's not kid ourselves, the creamy slivers of onion would taste even better transported to your mouth by some salty potato chips. Also, you could scoop out the inside of a baked potato and combine with this dip for some major comfort food.

Caramelized Onions
2 pounds yellow onions, thinly sliced, almost transparent
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
freshly ground black pepper

In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and salt and stir. Cover with a lid and cook for about 13 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to moderate, and stir occasionally for about 13 minutes or until most liquid has evaporated. Add the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10-15 minutes. Season with pepper, and more salt if needed. Will keep refrigerated for a few days.


Caramelized Onion and Green Curry Dip
1/3 cup Tofutti sour cream
1/3 cup Vegenaise vegan mayo
1/3 cup caramelized onions
1 teaspoon vegan green curry paste
salt to taste

Stir. Consume.

16 comments:

  1. I just LOVE carmelized onions! That dip looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa oh my goodness. I want to try this dip very badly. Also a great way to get rid of zucchini, though I agree, serving it on potato chips is probably the best way. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmelized onion dip remains to be the first and only dip I've made. Coincidentally I picked up a jar of green curry paste yesterday, so I'll have to take your advice and add it to the recipe I usually use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, what a fabulous combination! Hehe, another excuse to make caramelized onion ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, have not had much look with caramelized onions. Glad to know there's still hope! This recipe sounds positively decadent. Great idea using the onions as a topper to some BBQ sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a kid, I used to LOVE French onion dip with chips...until my dad teasingly told me it was made of chicken shit (he really traumatized me with that). But now that I know better, I'd love to try this vegan version! Carmelized onions are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love carmelized onions! I just let 'em sit a few hours (with a tight fitting lid and on very low heat). And spread 'em on crackers & rice cakes. Yum!

    That dip sounds so delish - can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds amazing! i love the way caramelized onions make your kitchen smell so yummy :) i'll have to try that dip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy, thank you!

    Jennifer, you're right, perfect timing to use up all the zucchini coming in!

    Junipie, that's interesting, I think dips are one of my favorite recipes to try because I'm always making them for entertaining. Hope you like the addition of curry paste!

    Aly, there are so many possibilities!

    Jennycestcake, this recipe worked out really well! I think it's a keeper.

    Bianca, although I wouldn't know first hand, this seems nothing like chicken shit. :)

    Shellyfish, your approach sounds super easy! I'll definitely make them again.

    Chelsea, so true, the place smells great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caramelized onions are a mystery to me, too. I've never made them myself but they are just so darn good when they're done right. I was actually staring at the caramelized onions recipe recently from the Native Foods cookbook thinking about it.

    And you live in STL? I go to college therek -- I'll be back in August!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruby Red Vegan, great to hear that you'll be in St. Louis soon! Do you have any restaurants you recommend for eating vegan? I want to try Everest in the Grove soon. I just recently found your blog and will be back to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooh, caramelized onion is really picking up in popuarity these days. It's the new zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh yes I do have recommendations! Crazy Bowls and Wraps is good if you're feeling lazy... I like their tofu vegetable bowl with thai peanut sauce. It's so easy to make the same thing at home, but it's vegan and great for lazy nights.

    Every once in a while I'll go to MoKaBe's for their Sunday brunch: vegan French toast, vegan falafel, coffee with (gasp!) soymilk already set out, miniature vegan pastries, fresh fruit, steel cut oatmeal, awesome tofu scrambles... It's pretty awesome.

    And I loooove Meskerem Ethiopian. Their vegetarian combo is really cheap on weekday lunches.

    Do you have any recommendations?!? I've heard of Everest and would love to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Veggie Girl, thanks!

    Maureen, or maybe it's the new falafel! That was all over the net last week.

    Ruby Red, I love the Happy Hour at Terrene- small plates for small prices and amazing tofu on a stick. They'll make the veggie sausage flatbread vegan style, and the servers actually get what vegan is and are extremely accommodating. We also like Shangri La for BBQ seitan and vegan slingers. And great vegan desserts! Atomic Cowboy has an Atomic bowl that can be vegan and good margs. Simple food, but great atmosphere. You make me want to visit Mokabe's again! Thanks for the recs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. mhmmm caramelized onions are a favorite of mine. That dip looks amazing, and so simple. When I want a dip I want as little prep as possible, Ill definitely try this one!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails