Monday, June 9, 2008

Vegan Ranch Dressing

If this dressing could talk to the novice vegan, it would say "Hey there, welcome to veganism! Miss your Ranch dressing? You loved it with Boca chik'n, didn't you? Not to worry; let me show you what silken tofu can do."

Silken tofu is an excellent base for non-dairy versions of dressing, sour cream, mayo, and cheesecake. Ann Gentry's Ranch-style dressing recipe is the first vegan one I tried, and I haven't strayed because it's so good. Recipes from her show Naturally Delicious are here and you can find the dressing under the Barbecued Tofu Chop Salad link. I highly recommend buying her cookbook Real Food Daily as well.

Obviously, this dressing is a great topping for salads, baked potatoes, and veggies. Not to mention Boca chik'n.


Ranch Dressing
3/4 cup vegenaise
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup soymilk
4 ounces organic silken tofu
juice from 1 lemon
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, to start
2 Tablespoons minced fresh chives


Blend all ingredients except chives in a food processor until smooth. Then stir in chives and store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Make sure to let this sit at least a couple of hours to allow the flavor to develop. Add salt and pepper if needed.

11 comments:

  1. What is vegenaise? It must be a product you can buy?

    This looks just great --

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alanna, yes Vegenaise is a non-dairy mayo. You can buy it in the refrigerated section, near the tofu, at Whole Foods. I've seen it recommended by a couple of vegan chefs, so I figure if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! It's pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At last! Ranch dressing! Thanks for posting this recipe. Am so frustrated with the limited non-animal based dressings. Now I can make my own! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum num num! I miss ranch so much! It was one of my favorite foods, and one of the few items that held me back from going all the way for years. I've made a few vegan versions over the years and they've all been pretty close to the original. This one sounds great...I've also found that Organicville Non-Dairy Ranch Dressing is also super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Provoked, even before going vegan, I got pretty disappointed with store bought dressing and started making my own. Hope you like this one!

    Bianca, I'm a big ranch fan too! Ranch and potatoes, mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't a huge fan of ranch dressing before. But, of course, now that I'm vegan I always want what I can't have.

    I'll give this a try tonight! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vegan ranch dressing?! Lisa - you've opened my eyes and made eating vegan much more of a wonderful experience for me. When I started eating veg, I never thought I would have potato salad OR ranch dressing again.

    You, Lisa, rock so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ranch dressing used to be a regular in my pre-vegan diet days. It's about time I bring it back.... I've never tried a vegan version!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The day I found a good recipe for vegan ranch was a happy, happy day. It's very similar to this one, although dill seems like an important ingredient in mine. I never thought of worcestershire or celery seed, those would be interesting additions. Those bottled creamy dressings will do in a pinch, but are NOTHING compared to a homemade ranch like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wahooooooooooooooooooooo! thanks, Lisa! i'm totally going to make this whenever i want some ranch! oh my goodness - you rock so hard! this makes me superhappyfaced!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie, thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog and you have very nice photos. I'll be back to visit again.

    Jennifer, thanks! You inspire me too with your amazing Mexican dishes. The internet is a wonderful thing.

    Vegan Noodle, I really don't miss the dairy version when I have the vegan version on hand. And the ingredients are pretty much standard so it's easy to whip up a batch. I just have to figure out what to do with my leftover silken tofu.

    Erin, dill sounds like a great ingredient as well. I'm also a homemade dressing person, all the way.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails