Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pico de Gallo



Local Harvest has tomatoes! To enjoy the first tomatoes of the season, I whipped up some Pico de Gallo. I should pause here to reassure my Mom that these are Missouri-grown tomatoes, which are not indicated in the Salmonella outbreak. No worries Mom!
Pico de Gallo is delicious with chips or enjoy it atop tacos or burritos.


Pico de Gallo

3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1 large jalapeno, seeded, de-veined, and minced
juice from 1 large lime
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients except salt. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes for flavors to develop. Salt to taste, if necessary.

5 comments:

  1. I love Pico de Gallo. Yours looks so fresh and yummy! I was so happy to hear that Missouri tomatoes were not indicated in the outbreak. I bought some nice tomatoes from the farmer's market today and was planning on making some Pico de Gallo myself early this week - we must be on the same wavelength - I see yummy fresh tomatoes, I think salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to making this dish when my tomatoes are ripe, which will be very soon! Hmm, I wonder what it'll taste like with yellow pear tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, me too! I knew I had to make our first pico of the season when I saw those beauties.

    White on Rice Couple, the yellow tomatoes would look great. I'd be interested in doing a taste comparison to see how they differ from red. Maybe you can let us know in a post!

    Nupur, I agree. Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like fresh pico, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails