Thursday, June 26, 2008

Gin Thursday, No. 5: Raspberry Gin Crush Cocktail


Gin Thursday's back (at least for a day) to feature gorgeous organic raspberries in a fizzy gin cocktail with a hint of lime. That's the good news.

The bad news, for those of us who use honey solely as a term of endearment, is that Chambord is not vegan. This discovery resulted in scrapping my original cocktail plan, and wondering how will I make the Paris is Burning cocktail this Winter. The answer to that dilemma can wait for another time.

For the cocktail at hand, a little more research inspired me to ditch the Chambord in favor of the brilliant, fresh raspberries in my fridge. And I'm so glad I did. The muddling of the raspberry mixture was curiously therapeutic (is that just me?), and resulted in a pretty, fuchsia crush of fruit. With a little tonic for some fizz, this turned out to be a festive summer drink for those of us who don't typically like fruity cocktails. If you do like your drinks sweeter, it's easy to up the agave nectar to your taste.

Raspberry Gin Crush
Serves 1

8 fresh raspberries
juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
1 1/2 ounces gin
about 2 ounces tonic
ice

Muddle the raspberries, lime juice, and agave nectar in a glass by crushing with the handle tip of a wooden spoon. Pour over ice in a second glass. Add gin and tonic and stir.

8 comments:

  1. holy...
    quit tempting me, you evil woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mhmm this mix would be even good without the alcohol with just some sparkling water or 7up. Very delish.

    The 30 days is a great episode. Of course it isn't perfect. But I do believe that the tears can't be avoided. Im so glad I watched it alone! Enjoy, when you get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of think gin is the devil. Maybe this would change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How refreshing! I love me some fancy-ass homemade cocktails. What's not vegan about Chambord? I have half a bottle at home that I never touch. Its kinda gross, I think. But now that I know it's vegan, I have even more excuse not to drink it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celine, I can't help myself! I do love a gin cocktail.

    Sarah, yes if I were making this without gin I'd sub club soda instead of tonic. And I watched 30 Days last night. I'm with you that I was troubled by some aspects, but overall recommend it to people who want to know more.

    Erin, sometimes the devil can be fun.

    Bianca, the Chambord website says it's made with honey! Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  6. AUGH! Chambord is made with honey? How depressing.

    But I do love gin. I'm betting a Gin Monday cocktail will cheer me up ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm such a gin girl. I am going to have to try out this recipe; it sounds absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails