Sunday, June 1, 2008

Curried Couscous Salad

I've had curry on the brain since my friend Anne told me that it might have health benefits. Come to find out, this USA Today article mentions prevention of Alzheimer's, cancer, heart disease, and joint inflammation among the possible benefits of turmeric, a main ingredient in curry powder. With this in mind, this recipe on Epicurious caught my eye, calling for a whopping two tablespoons of curry powder.

Wow, this salad is not only brain food, but pretty to look at too. I love the golden hue. I made several changes to the recipe and will tweak it a little more next time. I'll probably start out with less oil and work up to the full amount if need be. The addition of dried fruit, such as chopped apricots, would work well too.

Curried Couscous Salad
2 Tablespoons curry powder
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 cups diced vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli, and zucchini
10 ounces couscous
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup minced fresh chives

In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stir curry powder to toast for about 1 minute. Add vegetable broth, salt, and diced vegetables. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous, cover, and let stand about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine couscous with garbanzos, oil, vinegar, ginger, and chives. Check for seasonings; add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve warm or at room temp.

8 comments:

  1. thanks for visiting my blog! this couscous looks delish. i love you left the veggies in large chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mimi! I'll be back to visit your blog again. Your tofu dish looked so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love curry and couscous! It's dishes like these that make me want to go vegan! But I love my cheese....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like couscous, I don't eat it enough. That is interesting that curry might have postive health effects. I don't think we often associate diet (and environment) enough in why certain peoples are more healthy than others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love curry! It's so yellow and delish! I love how it leaves yellow stains on the plate when you're done! I know that's weird of me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks so beautiful! Curry and couscous go great together. Yours looks so colorful and delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue bowl in your photo sets off the colors so beautifully. And the salad sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. White on Rice Couple, I haven't been vegan long, and used to love my cheese too. I'm thrilled with all the new foods I'm trying instead though!

    Jennifer, I also find the cultural differences in health interesting.

    Bianca, that color is awesome isn't it?

    Thanks Chow Vegan!

    Erin, I was drawn to the combination of blue and yellow/orange. The combo reminds me of a gorgeous Latin color palette.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails