Monday, June 30, 2008

Cinco de Mayo Burgers



I imagine some of you are thinking "Silly vegan, you've got the wrong holiday. Cinco de Mayo isn't this week!"


So true, I'm a little slow in getting around to trying this burger recipe from Joni's Just the Food blog. I've had my eye on her combination of soyrizo, black beans, and a few other Mexican flavors. I finally cooked up a batch of her burgers this week.

You see these babies pictured just starting to brown up in a skillet. The recipe is great for a weeknight, because it's quick to prepare with just a few ingredients. I wondered whether the soyrizo taste would be too pronounced, but this was not the case. Make sure to pile on all your favorite fixin's. These also would be good crumbled on nachos or in a burrito. Check out Joni's recipe here!

10 comments:

  1. OHHHHHHHHH. these look so good! and they're so pretty! i've never used soyrizo before - and now i know i need to get some and try those babies out!

    i bet they'd be tasty with a little spicy mayo and avocado. mmmmmmmmmm! NOW i'm super hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look really good - tasty and hearty. I've never had soyrizo before! I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had soyrizo. Is it supposed to be like chorizo? I've never had that either so I'm not sure why that would help me at all.

    The burgers look fantastic. You can make these and it'll be Cinco de Mayo no matter what time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no problem with celebrating cinco de mayo every week...specially with these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These look epic. I don't think I can ever look at a plain ol' soy patty in the same way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might not be cinco de mayo, but I would say these look like grat bugers to eat any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessy, spicy mayo sounds like a great touch! I even liked them with the typical ketchup and mustard.

    Erin, thanks! We eat soyrizo weekly.

    Jennifer, soyrizo is supposed to be similar to chorizo, but you can't slice it. It comes in a tube and you kind of crumble and brown it up. I love it in tofu scramble.

    Alice, it's never the wrong time of year for Mexican food!

    Mad about Udon, thanks! They were a nice change of pace.

    Thanks Parker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. I love Soyrizo. I bet those are the bomb. We should celebrate Cinco de Mayo everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum yum! I have never been able to find Soyrizo in my area! Argh. I need to continue my search because I keep hearing amazing things about it. Come to think of it, I think I've only checked my neighborhood co-ops. I need to try Whole Foods! I always forget to look for Soyrizo when I'm in there because I'm too overwhelmed with all of the other amazingness to choose from... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bianca, I'm all for it!

    Jess, I also become mesmerized in Whole Foods. They have practically everything I need! Even tempeh deli items when I need a quickie take out dish.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails