Tuesday, June 3, 2008

BBQ Black Beans with Dark Rum

Item #31 on my To Do List- figure out how to take a decent photo of beans. This fledgling photographer was done in by the barbecue black beans that I prepared for a get together with St. Louis food bloggers. So there's just a peek of beans here with that interesting bottle of rum to distract you. Don't let my camera skills deter you from the recipe!

This blogging thing means I get to meet new people, eat their delicious food, and talk to them about food without that blank gaze that sometimes develops in those not obsessed with food. Cool, huh? Last night I enjoyed an evening at Alanna's to meet Pille of Nami-Nami. We talked Estonian food, shared a delicious meal, and got to know the people behind the blogs a little better. My fellow bloggers were so considerate to make vegan items such as Joy's homemade bread, Nupur's summer rolls, Alanna's seven layer salad with vegan dressing, and Pille's gorgeous red onion and orange salad. Hmm...I guess my To Do List just grew by a few items with the addition of these recipes to try!

The recipe for the unphotogenic BBQ Black Beans is adapted from Cooking Light. With soyrizo, vegan worcestershire, jalapeno, fresh ginger, and rum, it has a little heat behind the smoky, sweet flavor. My version is below. Now I'm off to tackle Item #1 on my To Do List- sync a new playlist to my Nano for my 4 hours on the road for work tomorrow.

BBQ Black Beans with Dark Rum
5 ounces soyrizo
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined, and minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup dark rum
1/4 cup wet mustard
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons vegan worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon Happy Dogs Hot Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained

Cook soyrizo in a skillet over medium heat until slightly browned, stirring occasionally. Put aside in a bowl. Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat and saute onions, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook a few minutes until onion is translucent. Add remaining ingredients except for the beans. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add soyrizo and beans, and simmer for about 45 minutes over very low heat. Stir occasionally, and check for seasonings at the end.

7 comments:

  1. god that sounds amazing. you took my favorite ingredients and combined them into one! i WILL be trying this. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so adding this to my to-do list, it's not even funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These beans were sooo flavorful! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quarrygirl, I love this combination too. Mmm...soyrizo...

    Celine, my To Do List is getting out of control with all the great recipes on vegan blogs. And thanks to you, now I have to buy an ice cream maker too. :)

    Thanks Nupur! Your beautiful summer rolls and all vegan sauces were so good too. Your tofu photo on your blog is stunning, as usual. I love a blogger who is pro-tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care if you think this is a bad picture, I think these beans look amazing. I love black beans, and the spice combination sounds fantastic.

    That is really cool that you are meeting local vegans as a result of your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think this is a perfect picture. Anytime there's booze in your food, it's always nice to picture the bottle as well. People love food with booze in it (even non-foodies) and it's important to drive that fact home to people with pictures of alcohol and food together.

    And it's awesome about you St. Louis bloggers hanging out! I've only met one other vegan food blogger in Memphis, but we were instant buds. Food-obsessed people have to stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer and Bianca you are very kind! I guess the St. Bloggers do sound like vegans since I mentioned all the vegan food they kindly prepared, but actually I'm the only local vegan blogger I know. Nupur is a local vegetarian blogger though, with many vegan dishes. Can you believe I've only met 1 vegan in real life? My librarian! All her "Staff Picks" are vegan books.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails