Monday, May 12, 2008

Vegan Toasted Ravioli, Two Ways


I've been mulling over a reader's request for a Toasted Ravioli recipe for a little while. I've never made Toasted Ravioli. I'm not accustomed to frying food. I do love a project.

So off I went to research Toasted Ravioli and what to do about the egg wash typically used. I researched several recipes as well as Veganomicon, of course, and decided to try a taste off between fried and baked Toasted Ravioli. Let the Toasted Ravioli Smackdown commence.

Find yourself some vegan ravioli. I used Rising Moon Organics Butternut Squash Ravioli.

Prepare a liquid mixture of 1/2 cup soy milk and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch in a shallow bowl. Mix with a fork to dissolve cornstarch.

On a plate, combine panko breadcrumbs, Italian Seasoning dried herbs (or spices/herbs of choice), salt, and pepper.

Toasted Ravioli, Baked

An olive oil spritzer (such as Misto) is recommended for this version.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mist a baking sheet with olive oil. Dunk ravioli in liquid mixture, then in bread crumb mixture to coat. Place on baking sheet. Spritz ravioli with olive oil and bake for about 9 minutes until lightly browned. Broil briefly at the end if you want to brown a little more.

Serve with warm marinara sauce.

Toasted Ravioli, Fried

Heat some Canola oil over medium heat in a skillet. You know it's ready for frying if you sprinkle some bread crumbs in the oil and they sizzle.

Prepare ravioli as described above, dipping in liquid, then in bread crumb mix. Place 4-5 ravioli in skillet at a time, and fry about 1-2 minutes on one side, then turn with tongs to fry 1-2 minutes on the other side. Drain on a clean kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.

Serve with warm marinara sauce.

Smackdown results? Both were tasty, but the baked version had a slightly rubbery texture compared to the fried. Eating leftovers after his music lesson, Mandolin Don said the difference between the two was pronounced upon re-heating and the fried version ruled.

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting project - I never thought to bake or fry raviolis before. It sounds very tasty.

    I love the Rising Moon Organics Ravioli. I always get the Butternut Squash ones or sometimes the Garlic & Roasted Veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant! thank you so much for this recipie. i thought i'd never see one fot toasted rav

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of frying/baking ravioli, too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegan toasted ravioli? I ate toasted ravioli so much when I lived in St. Louis. To be honest, I never thought I'd have it again after going vegan.

    Mmmmm. I think I will have to look for vegan ravioli so I can try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fried ravioli sounds good to me! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chow Vegan, this was fun project. I'd like to try the other rav flavor you mentioned. This brand is the only vegan brand I've found!

    Matthew, my pleasure! I had fun doing it. Thanks for the idea.

    Mihl and Julie, Toasted Ravioli is dish created in St. Louis, so it might be new to you! It's a fun, guilty pleasure kind of appetizer.

    Jennifer, If you have a Whole Foods, they probably carry this brand of ravioli. I was thrilled to find it at Local Harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. doesn't fried anything always rule?? :)

    these look especially yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frying always wins! Great that they are vegan, would love one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, as good as that photo looks, they tasted even better!

    - Don

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shana and Jerry, Frying does always win. I had my hopes up for the Baked, but who was I kidding?

    MD, Thanks for being a good taster honey. It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post, Lisa! And you must be a mind reader...I have been wanting to make toasted ravioli for ever (in honor of this city, of course). I'll let you know how my experiment goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nupur, This was a fun project. You know how we cooking nerds can be. I can't wait to see your version!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails