Sunday, May 4, 2008

Vegan Slingers at Shangri-La Diner

St. Louis is actually my adopted home, being originally from SC. So it's been fun over the years to learn about dishes unique to St. Louis. Some I took to immediately (Gooey Butter Cake- wonder if there's a vegan version out there?). Others never caught on with me (provel cheese pizza). The slinger is another St. Louis original, apparently popular with the diner crowd at the end of a late night out. I'd never had a slinger, and assumed that my chances of trying this culinary specialty were nil once I went vegan. Not so. The Shangri-La Diner has us vegans covered.


The Shangri-La Diner serves a vegan slinger that includes tofu scramble, hash browns, vegan chili, guacamole, and multi-grain toast. I knew this would be a lot of food, but hey, how can I call myself Show Me Vegan and pass up a vegan slinger? It was delicious. And with all the vegan menu options, I felt like I'd found a vegan paradise. Next time, I must go for the vegan French toast. And I'll be back another day for the BBQ plate with vegan pulled pork sandwich and baked beans. Vegan shakes and dessert specialties too? I might have to move next door.

7 comments:

  1. I had the slinger too, when we ate there some months ago. Did you try their burgers? We loved the BBQ burger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing. I am so jealous! The vegan options in Detroit are pretty dismal. But wow, tofu/hash browns/chili/guac?!?! I have a new reason to visit St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like the provel pizza either, it never tasted 'right' to me.

    Vegan Slingers?!?!?!?! Awesome! I'm going to have to go try these next time I'm in St. Louis visiting the family.

    Have I mentioned yum?!

    And I'm hoping for the vegan version of the butter cake myself. We might be waiting awhile. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nupur - I didn't try the burger yet but look forward to going back. Thanks so much for giving me the tip about the restaurant a few weeks ago. I had no idea!

    Bee Roach- we'd love to have you visit St. Louis! Breakfast out can be a challenge, so I was thrilled to find this place.

    Jennifer- I think you'd really like the diner if you like simple, tasty food. It's funky and has lots of vegan selections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. slingers were a diner staple of mine before i became a vegetarian. and now i can enjoy them again. thanks for sharing the good news

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matthew, I know what you mean. Is the Shangri-La the best kept secret around here or what? I'll be back for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa,

    I run the restaurant review site www.urbanspoon.com. We are just getting started in St Louis, and I would love to add links to your blog reviews (like this one) of restaurants. If you are interested, contact me at ben AT urbanspoon.com. We also have a tag for vegan-friendly restaurants, so it would be great to have better info on which restaurants to add that tag to.

    Cheers,
    Ben Huff
    ben AT urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails