Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tempeh Spread


A quick lunch - tempeh spread sandwich with Fritos. Yes, Fritos are vegan. But let's get back to the sandwich. Tempeh spread is similar to chicken salad. But it tastes like its own thing, so don't expect the same flavor as chicken. Or at least that's what my distant memory of chicken tells me. This makes a double batch because MD and I eat this stuff like crazy until it's gone.

Tempeh Spread
adapted from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin

2 packages tempeh (find it refrigerated near tofu usually)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons tamari
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup Vegenaise (my Whole Foods stocks this refrigerated near tofu)
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 celery ribs, diced
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
buns, lettuce, extra mustard, and Fritos

Crumble tempeh into small pieces. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat and saute tempeh about 10 minutes or so. You want it quite golden and the little bits crispy and browned.

Transfer tempeh to a bowl and combine with tamari and Liquid Smoke. Let cool. Stir in Vegenaise, Dijon, scallions, celery, and celery seed. Chill for a while in the fridge if you can delay gratification before making your sandwich.

3 comments:

  1. I'm seriously going to save this recipe and make some tempeh spread! I see a lot of stuff on blogs that I'd like to try but know I'll never get around to...but this is one of those things that I really must make! I'm printing it out to put in my "must make soon" pile. I love tempeh and I adore sandwich spreads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll use this recipe next week to take on the plane with me. It sounds great and I have lots of tempeh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bianca, this one has been a favorite for years and we still love it! I know what you mean about too many good recipes to keep up with.

    Alice, Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails