Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Stuffed Portobellos with Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

There are so many ways to enjoy Springtime asparagus. A Veggie Venture has an informative how to on prepping asparagus in advance for a party which I'll definitely consult in the future. In the meantime, I needed another use for my bundle of asparagus from Tower Grove Farmers' Market. I adapted a recipe from Health magazine for Stuffed Portobellos with Asparagus. While the dish probably was no longer "light" by the time I had my way with it, I really enjoyed the end result. Substantial enough for a main dish, portobellos are stuffed with a mixture of asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, and garlic, and topped with bread crumbs before baking. Vegan pesto on the side is delicious for dipping.


Stuffed Portobellos with Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
4 large portobello mushrooms
1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 cups cut fresh asparagus (Snap off ends. Cut spears into 1/2-inch pieces)
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
salt and pepper
1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (moisten with a little olive oil right before using)
vegan pesto on the side, optional


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth. Remove stems and rinse briefly. Chop stems and set aside. Remove gills of mushrooms with a spoon. Brush mushroom caps with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Place on a baking sheet, gill side up, so they're ready to be stuffed.


Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Saute asparagus, onion, garlic, tomatoes, walnuts, and chopped mushroom stems for about 6 minutes. Stir frequently and cook until a little tender. Add salt and pepper. Stuff mushroom caps with veggie mixture, and top with bread crumbs. Bake for about 12 minutes. Serve with vegan pesto on the side if you like.

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm, and I have two bunches of asparagus in my hands right now! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa you are amazing.

    My goodness this sounds so good. I am taking down the recipe as soon as I comment. This looks so good and it sounds mouthwatering!

    I may have to make this in a few weeks when I can eat solid food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm I love pesto - this sounds amazing.
    For more great pesto recipes, check out: http://iheartpesto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I haven't been able to make it to the farmers markets for three weeks now so am still mostly living with supermarket asparagus. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice! This turned out tastier than I expected. We REALLY enjoyed it. Must have been all of that olive oil!

    Jennifer, You might need a break from food blogs until you're back to solid food! I have a gazpacho in mind for soon so maybe that would be more palatable.

    Thanks Anonymous. Pesto is divine, so true.

    Alanna, hope you get to make it to the Farmers' Market soon! We love our Saturday ritual of walking to the market after breakfast to stock up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails