Thursday, May 15, 2008

Snobby Joes

If you are vegan, you probably already know about Veganomicon's Snobby Joes. There's a reason why this recipe is in nearly every vegan's repertoire- it's delicious, easy-to-make, comfort food. Okay, I guess that's 3 reasons. I like to whip up some Snobby Joes when I need a dish that will travel well to a friend's potluck. This recipe uses lentils as the main ingredient, and has a tomato-y, sweet flavor. When I want sloppy joes (about every couple of weeks!), I alternate between this recipe and a tangy one from the New Farm cookbook that uses TVP, which Mandolin Don favors. And to think I used to get excited about Manwiches.

5 comments:

  1. I have actually never had the Snobby Joes, what is wrong with me. I came to look at your post and my stomach started growling when I saw the picture. This would be perfect on a hot day with vegan potato salad. Mmmmmm.

    Thank you so much for reminding me about this recipe, I really need to try it out sometime this summer.

    And as always, your photography is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it really easy to bring to a potluck?, don't they fall apart?
    I never had Snobby Joes neither (I didn't even know what there where!)

    But this recipe is just perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, thank you! You're right, this would be great with potato salad. I have a spicy potato salad that I plan to make soon which I think you'd love.

    Alice, good point. I take the snobby joes mixture heated in a dish, and the buns separate to be assembled at the potluck. If I need to re-heat once I get there, the Snobby Joes dish can go in the microwave before making the sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, we've never had snobby joes or any vegan sloppy joe. They look pretty super good though. What kind of bun is that? And great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. M & J, Thank you! The bun is Sara Lee Heart Healthy 100% Wheat. They are vegan and I find them at Schnucks grocery store.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails