Monday, May 26, 2008

Potatoes, Spinach, and Green Beans in Green Curry Sauce

I know, more potatoes? I had a surplus on hand so here's another potato dish! This one is a steamy, creamy curry dish that goes great over rice. The prep is easy and involves ingredients you likely have in your pantry too.

Potatoes, Spinach, and Green Beans in Green Curry Sauce
adapted from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop

1 Tablespoon canola oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 can unsweetened coconut milk, with 1/2 cup thickened coconut cream spooned off and reserved
1 Tablespoon green curry paste
1/2 cup water
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
salt
1 cup frozen cut green beans
baby Spinach, about 4 cups
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
juice from 1/2 lime
Cooked rice, optional

Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute garlic and ginger about 1 minute. Add the 1/2 cup thickened coconut cream from the top of the can and the curry paste. Simmer until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes.

Add remaining coconut milk, water, potatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Depending on the size of the potatoes this will take 15-20 minutes. Stir in green beans and cook for a couple of minutes, covered. Then add spinach and cook for about 4 more minutes, covered. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Check for seasoning and add salt if necessary. Serve over rice if you like.

11 comments:

  1. I can't find fresh spinach where I live and I'm having a hard time with this... I want my spinach raw! Or just look at your picture, how fresh it is! I have to look for it harder!

    And stop tempting me with potatoes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, I don't know what I'd do without baby spinach! You have my sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of potatoes, so you won't hear any complaints from me for giving out a lot of tater-related recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...that looks so fresh and wonderful! I am such a fan of these easy and tasty coconut-based curries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I love green curry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celine, I might be about tatered-out for awhile after this weekend. I never thought I'd say that!

    Nupur, thanks! I'm a big fan too and have just recently started cooking with coconut milk. Where has it been my whole life?

    Chow Vegan thanks! I hope to branch out and make my own curry paste eventually, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks seriously gorgeous! I'm a big fan of coconut milk and curry paste, it's magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had curry!

    I'm actually a bit scared on Indian food. I had a bad experience with it and got a bit jaded. It was just TOO flavorful.

    But this looks fantastic and makes me want to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Alanna! Coconut curries are such a quick way to a satisfying meal.

    Hi Jennifer, you might like trying more of a Thai curry with coconut milk and Thai curry paste, which could be very different from the dish you didn't like. The coconut flavor is not pronounced, but gives a very creamy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! Coconut milk and potatoes! The perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bianca, this combo was comfort food without the deep frying! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails