Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Gazpacho Shots and 5 Things



I prefer gazpacho in small doses. I'm still not sure about the whole cold soup idea, and I find that a few tastes of gazpacho will do me. Plus, I think Vegan Dad's Green Chile Chickpea Tortilla Cups got me thinking about party nibbles. Check them out- it doesn't get much cuter than this.

So I thought, how about gazpacho shots? The size is right for a party appetizer, and I get to break out my favorite shot glasses. See the roly poly one? Love it. Unfortunately, the narrow mouth made consuming a chunky gazpacho rather clumsy, so I recommend going with a wider-mouthed glass, like the squatty one next to the roly poly.

Gazpacho Shots
adapted from Whole Foods

2 cups tomato juice
3/4 cup orange juice
2 fresh mangoes, chopped
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Happy Dogs Hot Sauce

Put the juices and mango in a food processor. Pulse for few times to coarsely puree. Transfer this mixture to a non-metal container that has a lid. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Check for seasoning before serving. Serve to guests in shot glasses as an appetizer.

Finally, I was tagged by my fellow Show Me State vegan blogger, Jennifer of Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings, to share five things about me. Thanks for asking Jennifer! Here we go:

1. The last novel I read and loved was Monster Island. What can I say? I love all things zombie, vampire, and ghostly.

2. I cannot abide lima beans. Perhaps I would take a bite if someone battered and deep fried them. But probably not.

3. One of my obnoxious qualities is that I'm a bandevangelist. I get so excited about songs that I want to share them with others. Shall I demonstrate? I'll limit myself to 3. Three songs I love on my Running Playlist are The Honeymoon by Langhorne Slim, Salute Your Solution by The Raconteurs, and Sonic Boom by Pieta Brown. (Locals, you can see Pieta at Lucas School House on 5/29, The Raconteurs at The Pageant on 6/12, and Langhorne at Off Broadway on 6/22.) See, I told you I was obnoxious.

4. I break wine rules. For me, if it's wine, it's Cabernet Sauvignon. I could be on a picnic in 100 degree weather, no matter. A big Cab is what I like.

5. I had to put myself on Western-style shirt probation after purchasing an excessive number of these for my wardrobe. Unfortunately, I seem to have substituted band t-shirts as my new obsession. See #3 above.

I'm not sure how many of my fellow bloggers have yet to share "five things", so if you would like to chime in, consider yourself tagged!

7 comments:

  1. funny, I don't think I've ever even had gazpacho!
    I dig that meme thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gazpacho has always intriguied me, but I'm with you, not sure how I feel on the whole cold soup thing, though I'm biased in that I don't really like soup much anyway.

    But it looks so elegant, and sounds delicious, it makes me want to try it. Cute shot glasses by the way.

    Lima beans are REALLY GROSS. I am a huge fan of the bean, but cannot bring myself to eat this. Is it even POSSIBLE for a lima bean to be good, I have my doubts. :-)

    Hahahaha! Great five things. I'd love to see these 'western shirts' of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shot glass IS adorable, I love it too. And this is a really cute idea for a sit down type dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celine, I haven't tried a lot of different gazpachos either. This one is fruity, which is a slightly different twist.

    Jennifer, if anyone could make the lima tolerable, you could. But it's okay with me if you just let sleeping limas lie.

    Thanks Erin! Can you believe that my roly poly glasses were freebies with Sauza tequila? I do love a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gazpacho, but I agree that sometimes a whole bowl is too much. I love the shot glass idea! I was at a fancy wine party a few months ago and this guy came around with an hors deouvres tray. He said the tiny shot glasses of yellow liquid on the tray were golden beet gazpacho shots. I asked if they were dairy-free, assuming they would be since it was gazpacho. He said they were. So I shot one...and it tasted suspiciously like cheese. Later I saw a menu that listed "Golden Beet Gazpacho Shots with Goat Cheese Foam." Eww!

    Moral to the story: Never trust an underpaid waiter at a wine party with a tray of gazpacho shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bianca, Good Lord, who puts cheese in gazpacho? And isn't foam so last season?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gazpacho looks so refreshing!

    I had to laugh at your cab comment, my husband is the same way. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails