Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Gazpacho Shots and 5 Things
I prefer gazpacho in small doses. I'm still not sure about the whole cold soup idea, and I find that a few tastes of gazpacho will do me. Plus, I think Vegan Dad's Green Chile Chickpea Tortilla Cups got me thinking about party nibbles. Check them out- it doesn't get much cuter than this.
So I thought, how about gazpacho shots? The size is right for a party appetizer, and I get to break out my favorite shot glasses. See the roly poly one? Love it. Unfortunately, the narrow mouth made consuming a chunky gazpacho rather clumsy, so I recommend going with a wider-mouthed glass, like the squatty one next to the roly poly.
adapted from Whole Foods
2 cups tomato juice
3/4 cup orange juice
2 fresh mangoes, chopped
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Happy Dogs Hot Sauce
Put the juices and mango in a food processor. Pulse for few times to coarsely puree. Transfer this mixture to a non-metal container that has a lid. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Check for seasoning before serving. Serve to guests in shot glasses as an appetizer.
Finally, I was tagged by my fellow Show Me State vegan blogger, Jennifer of Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings, to share five things about me. Thanks for asking Jennifer! Here we go:
1. The last novel I read and loved was Monster Island. What can I say? I love all things zombie, vampire, and ghostly.
2. I cannot abide lima beans. Perhaps I would take a bite if someone battered and deep fried them. But probably not.
3. One of my obnoxious qualities is that I'm a bandevangelist. I get so excited about songs that I want to share them with others. Shall I demonstrate? I'll limit myself to 3. Three songs I love on my Running Playlist are The Honeymoon by Langhorne Slim, Salute Your Solution by The Raconteurs, and Sonic Boom by Pieta Brown. (Locals, you can see Pieta at Lucas School House on 5/29, The Raconteurs at The Pageant on 6/12, and Langhorne at Off Broadway on 6/22.) See, I told you I was obnoxious.
4. I break wine rules. For me, if it's wine, it's Cabernet Sauvignon. I could be on a picnic in 100 degree weather, no matter. A big Cab is what I like.
5. I had to put myself on Western-style shirt probation after purchasing an excessive number of these for my wardrobe. Unfortunately, I seem to have substituted band t-shirts as my new obsession. See #3 above.
I'm not sure how many of my fellow bloggers have yet to share "five things", so if you would like to chime in, consider yourself tagged!