Saturday, April 5, 2008

Quinoa Vegetable Soup

I wish aroma-net existed so you could smell this soup. The cumin, cilantro, and garlic smell so good.

This recipe is from Real Food Daily cookbook, one of my favorites. Every recipe I've tried has been delicious, and it has lots of photos. You can find this and many other recipes from Ann Gentry here. Choose an episode from the "Episode Selector" and there are recipes for each. I substituted green beans for the zucchini just because that's what I had on hand. Potatoes would be a nice addition too. This soup makes a lot. I freeze a large portion for later.


Quinoa Vegetable Soup

3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 onions, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1-2 cups cut green beans
1 cup corn kernels
1 red bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
12 cups vegetable stock
1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
freshly ground black pepper

Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the quinoa and stir frequently for 10 minutes, or until the moisture evaporates and the quinoa crackles and turns golden. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and set aside.

Heat the oil in the stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute for 12 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the green beans, corn, bell pepper, garlic, and salt. Saute 3 minutes longer or until juices form. Add the stock. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the toasted quinoa. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Squeeze the tomatoes into the soup and add the juice from the can. Add cumin and coriander. Simmer uncovered over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is tender. Stir in cilantro. Add black pepper.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking out my blog.
    The berry muffins came out a little dry.
    I don't know if it was bec. I used all whole wheat flour?
    But I always use WW flour in all my baking.
    Hope you have different results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should get better at baking. I do it rarely due to a bad track record. Regardless, your muffins looked great with the toy guy beside them!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails