Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables

I tend to fret a little about potluck dishes. How will I keep it hot? Can it wait on a buffet while guests have some cocktails and mingle before eating? So I avoid the hot dish dilemma and go for room temp recipes. This one is an adaptation of Ina Garten's Orzo with Roasted Vegetables, from long ago and faraway when I watched Food Network. Veganized, of course.

Orzo with Roasted Vegetables
1 small Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound orzo
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and
drained

Dressing:
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2
lemons)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

For mixing at the end:
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup pinenuts, toasted
big bunch basil, sliced just before adding to
dish

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the potatoes, peppers, onion, and garlic with olive oil, salt and pepper on a large sheet pan. Roast for about 40 minutes, until browned, turning partway through. Cook the orzo according to package. Drain and put in serving dish. Add roasted veggies and cannellini beans.

Combine dressing ingredients in a jar, shake well, and pour over orzo mixture. Let cool to room temp, then add scallions, pinenuts, and basil. Add salt if needed. Serve at room temp.

8 comments:

  1. Your blog is beautiful, and this recipe looks particularly delicious. I'll bet it was a hit at the potluck.

    How great that you got to meet Alanna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan! St. Louis really has a growing blogger community and Alanna's doing a great job of keeping us connected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    I loved this dish...it was my favorite of the meal!

    It was nice talking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelly! I enjoyed hearing about your neighborhood "adventures". I'm looking forward to the next get together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lisa!

    Sorry I missed the potluck. I bet I would have enjoyed this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bruno, nice to hear from you! I'm sorry you couldn't make it. What a fun group, and we even talked about lots of interesting topics other than food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this! I made a few substitutions because of what I had on hand. I didn't have pine nuts but tossed in a few cashews....

    I also added more vegetables: turnips, brussel sprouts, okra. I took this to the vegetarian thanksgiving pot luck we had and it was devoured. No one could believe that they were eating things they thought they didn't like!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made this dish several times for potlucks, with great success. I enjoy sneaking in many vegetables that folks say they do not like (parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, brussel sprouts) and, I never have any left! Sometimes i saute the garlic in olive oil or earth balance and add at the end....This is fool proof! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails