Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gin Thursday, No. 2: Gin Swizzle













The internet can be the information
superhighway or a world of confusion. Take the Gin Swizzle, for example. Some recipes say add club soda, some don't. Some recipes say the drink should have a "froth", others indicate the glass should "frost" from the swizzle action. Hmm....

The Ultimate Book of Cocktails sounds omniscient, or at least cocky, so let's just go with that recipe and call it a day.

I quote, "The Swizzle dates from the early 19th century, and was originally a drink made frothy purely by energetic stirring. The implement used for this, the swizzle-stick, took its name from the drink....Some recipes add soda water to achieve the swizzle effect, but originally it was all done by elbow grease. The froth will subside fairly quickly anyway." I did not get a froth effect from my swizzling, vigorously as I tried, but the cocktail was tasty and crisp, nonetheless. Below you'll find my adaptation of the recipe, with the original ingredients in parentheses.

Gin Swizzle
1 1/2 ounces gin
1/2 teaspoon agave syrup plus 1/2 teaspoon water, combined (or 1 tsp simple syrup)
freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 lime (or from 1 lime)
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Combine all ingredients in tall glass with ice. Stir vigorously with a swizzle-stick.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer! Fun and tasty. I guess I need to still work on my swizzle technique though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails