Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chickpea Potato Curry

Simply Recipes is probably one of the first cooking blogs I bookmarked. Elise takes such pretty photos, and many of the vegetable recipes are vegan or easily veganized. This recipe was easy and filling. I made a few adaptations based on what was in my pantry. It does not have curry powder, so don't expect that flavor, but is still spicy and I love those Yukon Golds.

Chickpea Potato Curry

2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Original diced tomatoes with chiles
1/2 cup salsa
12 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into bite-sized chunks
1 cup onion, diced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In a large pot, combine all ingredients. Stir to mix and nestle the potatoes into the liquid.
Set the pot, uncovered, over medium heat. Simmer vigorously about 35 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Mine got a little dry and I added a half cup of water while simmering. Add more salt to taste. Serve over Jasmine rice.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog! It's nice to 'meet' another Missouri vegan (I live in Columbia, but grew up in St. Charles)!

    Can you believe I've never had curry? This looks pretty good. Though I have to be honest, Indian food scares me a bit with it's intense flavor, you just gotta get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I just found your blog! Jennifer, it's right up my ally with the focus on whole foods and stuff in a tortilla. I'll be back again to visit!
    I don't think this dish tastes much like authentic Indian food. It's more like a spicy potato and bean stew. You can cut the cayenne for less heat.
    Thanks for introducing yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails