Saturday, March 29, 2008

Scrambled Tofu Tacos


Eating a scrambled tofu taco at Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse in Austin was one of my yes I can be vegan moments. Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipe captures the deliciousness I had there. I adapt it by browning some soyrizo to start, then proceed with Isa's recipe. At the end, I add lots of baby spinach to wilt.


I'm still a "tofu pup", but so far I've learned that draining your tofu is the key to many recipes (sometimes called pressing the tofu). This can seem a little confusing to the novice. I found Compassionate Cooks' All About Tofu podcast helpful.


This scramble calls for the block tofu you find refrigerated in a plastic container, not the silken type in aseptic packages. Here's my standard set up. Pour the water off the tofu block and rinse briefly. Cut through the middle so you have two thinner slabs. Wrap in a towel, place on a plate, and stack a baking pan full of cans on top. I then drink my first cup of coffee while surfing vegan blogs to allow tofu to drain. By the time I finish my first mondo cup of coffee, it's time to prepare the scramble and my tofu is ready to go!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, So great to meet you and D last night, thanks for meeting up with the St. Louis food bloggers. Twas fun, yes? Til next time, if not before ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alanna, we really enjoyed getting acquainted with everyone. What a diverse, interesting group! I look forward to the next get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scrambled tofu looks great -- and so does your method for tofu pressing.

    Thanks for the link about sprouts. I've ordered a completely different system -- but it's been on back order for a couple of weeks. When I get it, I'll be sure to post about how it works. And, if it doesn't work that well, now I have a back up plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joy, and I'd love to hear how the sprouting goes. I'm eager for the Tower Grove Farmers' Market to start up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails